Calvin Ku, Food & Beverage Director of Socialito
10/20 - 10 questions, answered in 20 words or less!
Opened in August 2012, Socialito is the new Wyndham Street hotspot homage to Mexican and Latin American flavours, sensibilities and style, comprising a casual taqueria, restaurant and club.
1. What was the inspiration for Socialito’s 3-venues-in-1 concept?
Hong Kong was missing a true Mexican-Latin space and it was time to fill that gap.
2. What is the significance of the name 'Socialito'?
Socialito is a slang expression used in Mexico City to describe a place where people come to eat, drink and play.
3. Hong Kong has seen a surge in the popularity of Mexican cuisine recently, why is it so ‘now’?
The bold flavors and celebratory culture of the Mexican and Latin American people embodies the vibrant scene in Hong Kong.
4. What makes Socialito unique?
Socialito embodies the free spirit of Mexico with its taqueria, the bold flavors of its food in the restaurant and the fun attitude of its people in the discoteca.
5. What experience does the Socialito team have with authentic Mexican flavours?
From concept to décor, tacos to cocktails, food to tequilas, the research trip we took to Mexico was instrumental to the end product.
6. The menu features classic Mexican and inventive dishes. We love the Wagyu Tacos topped with fried onions. How did that idea come about?
It was important we stayed true to the flavours of Mexico and Latin America, while taking advantage of the best ingredients, like beef from Australia.
7. Which cocktail is a must-try?
An Occasional Smoke, which uses mescal and tequila as a base, and a touch of agave nectar for sweetness.
8. Which dish ranks highest on the Scoville Scale (for our spice-loving readers)?
Our own Habanero salsa which really packs a punch, and side Chiles Torreados, which is a seared Serrano chili.
9. Why don’t you apply HK’s usual 10% service charge?
This appeals to our guests and encourages our team to provide better hospitality. It’s a simple and effective reward system.
10. The Mayan Calendar says the world is ending - if you had to pick just one last don't-miss-dish, which would it be?
Our duck breast with mole negro, the king of mole comprising 15 ingredients, including Mulato chili, pasilla, apricots and Oaxacan chocolate.