10/20 - 10 Questions, Answered in 20 Words or Less!
Sergi Arola, of Sergi Arola's Vi Cool
Michelin-starred Spanish chef Sergi Arola brings his casual tapas brand Vi Cool to Harbour City, Hong Kong.
1. This is your fifth trip to Hong Kong, what’s your favourite place to dine here, other than Vi Cool, of course?
I love the China Club. For a tourist or visitor like me it’s great. And I like Lupa.
2. Why did you decide to bring Vi Cool to Hong Kong?
Hong Kong is one of the world capitals where you can find a better variety of restaurants, and everything’s pure.
3. How is Vi Cool different to your other brands like Sergi Arola and Arola?
Armani Jeans is for Giorgio Armani the same as Vi Cool is for Sergi Arola. It’s very accessible.
4. What is Vi Cool’s don’t-miss dish?
Patatas bravas. There’s no gastro-molecular, no nitrogen, exactly the same process as the classical, but we modified the method.
5. Where do you source your ingredients?
I respect the country, so we just import what we can’t find, like Ibérico ham and Spanish olive oil.
6. You obviously travel a lot between your restaurants, do you think that influences your cooking, or does it stay the same no matter where you?
When I make dumplings, it is because I ate great dumplings in China. ‘Sergi Arola’ is authentic, but also multi-cultural.
7. What was the most important thing you learned during your training at el Bulli?
It was not the techniques and not the recipes, it was the method and the self-critique.
8. Where do you like to travel with your family?
If I see an airplane, I think ‘I’m working’. So I love to drive with my children to Portugal.
9. What or who is your greatest inspiration?
Another reason I love to travel is you see many things, and meet people. You can find inspiration all around.
10. What’s next?